In this episode, Michael dives into the anatomy of the body so that we can teach students more about their own body – in an accessible way!
He emphasizes that you don’t need fancy terms when discussing anatomy, it can be very simple and simultaneously very helpful for students. By gaining a deeper knowledge and understanding of the physical body yourself, you can help students become more intuitive with how they move and reach a wider number of students through your language.
Michael breaks down the spine and hips as two examples of how to talk about different movements of the body.
He emphasizes that giving students a reason why they are doing these physical movements will allow them to connect and understand their bodies and their yoga practices on a new and potentially far deeper level.
- 3:45 – Techniques for creating more awareness of the body
- 5:40 – Breaking down the spine
- 10:20 – Michael shares ways of cueing and speaking that will resonate with more students
- 14:53 – Why Michael teaches anatomy in yoga practices
- 19:11 – Breaking down the hips